Search This Blog

Monday, January 10, 2011

#8: Passing Food

Manner #8:  More Than You Ever Wanted to Know About Passing Food Around the Table

Attention Getter: I wrote arrows on post-it notes.  I put them on the kids' plates pointing to the right.   When the kids came to dinner they began whispering to each other, "Why do we have arrows on our plates?"  "Dad! What is going on?" "Maybe mom wants us to twist things around?" "Maybe mom..." (The buzz around the table before dinner was music to a teaching mom's ears.)


When we sat down, I asked the kids which way the arrows were pointing (now that is a difficult question for kids' my age, but they got it right.) Then I stated the arrows were there to show them which way to pass the food-to the right- and tonight we were going to learn about passing food. (Remember it is important to state the objective. It's Teaching 101).

Manner: 1. Food is passed to the right initially- counterclockwise.  However, the person starting the food may ask the person to her left if he would like some before passing it on to the right.
2. Hold the serving dish for the person next to you while she serves herself (this is a lesson in giving and receiving- another blog; another day) or set it down on the table if necessary.
3. Keep the food moving.  Do not be that person at the table that is a food dam.  Everything stops at your plate. (We know who you are; wish you knew.)
4. If you need a food item to be passed to you (after the initial pass), find who is closest to it, address the person BY NAME and then ask him to pass the food item. You may pass it the shortest route.  You don't have to go right all the way around the table.
5. Always pass the pepper and salt together.  Even if the person only asked for the salt- send the pepper too. After all, they are married and they stick together. (Yes, we really did dress up our salt-n-pepper shakers. And later I found my 4 year old singing "Hear Comes the Bride" as she moved the salt closer to the pepper.)

Mr. and Mrs.

Why:  The why on #1 is important to explain to those stubborn leftys.  When you pass to the right, it is easier for the person receiving the food  to serve himself because his dominant hand (if right handed) is unobstructed or at a better angle to serve himself.  If you pass to the left, you may constrict the right hand or the serving dish would be too close and it would be difficult to serve.  Try it and see what I am talking about.

#4: When you say a person's name to pass; it gets her attention.  Otherwise you are just calling a request out to a table full of preoccupied people and no one is listening nor are they aware of what food is in front of them.

These "rules" just help the table run smoother (the bigger the family, the more these manners matter.) And in the end everyone enjoys dinner more, and there is less time spent trying to get food on your plate and more time conversing with family.

Practice:  I let the kids pretend before dinner while I was making last minute preparations.  I gave them a serving bowl and spoon (without any food in it) and they practiced passing and serving themselves food.  This was safer than real, hot, heavy dishes for my kids (right now mom and dad still do a lot of the passing and serving.) 

Thoughts:  I have learned much about myself and my family from this manner.  I've learned that we are a stubborn and prideful folk. We like to teach, but we don't always like to be taught.

See, we have passed to the left all of our lives and up until last week we even passed to the left at our monthly Sunday dinner.  When I told my family that I learned through my readings that it is proper etiquette to pass to the right, I was surprised by their reaction.  "Wow! Thanks, Tiffany.  We just learned something new" would have been a nice response.  Instead it was, "Who says?" "Are you going to make us do that now?" I think I even got called a few names.  (To be honest, I don't really care which way you pass it as long as we are all going the same direction, but because I am stubborn too, I didn't let it go. I explained WHY you pass to the right, then called them names back.)  My dad, being a reasonable man, learned from the explanation and opted to go to the right--at that dinner.  We will see how next month's Sunday dinner goes. 

And since likes attract, I married a stubborn man too.  His family passed to the left growing up as well.  The other night, in the most delicate way he could muster, he said something like, "Now Tiffany, I am not saying you are wrong,  but have you checked multiple sources on this pass to the right thing?  Everyone I know passes to the left- how can we all be wrong? (My kids have no prayer of being humble).

So for all you left passers out there, I did check multiple sources.  (Emily Post even agrees with me.)

7 comments:

  1. No friction from me on passing to the right; it makes more sense. I hope the world reads your pepper and salt etiquette.

    Next on your list: "pepper and salt," "salt and pepper" or "Salt N' Peppa." Which is it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We actually started passing the right a while back because it seemed more natural now I know why. :)

    I was going to post last time that I told them about who gets served first, so Mom got served first and Darin threw the biggest stubborn fit. He refused to come to the table. Can we say little Jared? That kid doesn't even know why he's throwing a fit half the time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry, but I dont like your new rule- that just means I'm served lastat Sunday dinners. :) Love the efforts you go to- dressing up the salt and pepper? Now that's dedication.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ashlee, you are welcome to join Chad and me at the kiddie table.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got that whole salt and pepper thing my whole life. Couldn't figure out until I was a bit older, why if I only wanted salt (hate pepper)- did I have to get both of them handed to me. There is a reason for everything it seems. Good job Tiff- pass the salt please!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am really enjoying your posts, and we discussed who to serve first at dinner an evening when we had a guest. How does serving the guest first fit into the passing? Do we just start with the guest and go around?

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Onion, so this is what I understand for a family dining situation: the guest would be sitting to the right of the host. This allows the host to be served last. After grace, the host would encourage the guest to serve herself whatever is in front of her, probably the main dish, after the guest takes her portion, she would pass it to the right. Once the guest has started the food going, others at the table can take what is in front of them and serve themselves and pass it to the right. So the guest isn't going to start every dish, just the first one. Does that make sense? I have posts coming up on serving and when to eat so I will try to clear up any confusion in those upcoming posts. Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete